THE RETURN

 

Arms outstretched in flight,

I cruise elated in wide sweeping arcs and loops

Over the Oregon coast.

 

Around and through mountain, river, ocean and forest,

Diffusing through clouds and sky,

Soaring in joy and wonder,

Euphoric in boundless freedom,

Skimming wavetops, circling the earth, touching the sun,

Gliding effortlessly, guided by whim and dream. 

 

Stirrings of consciousness and imminent awakening

Return me to the rectangular flat plane

Of an image suspended in space:

An impressionistic view of my simple living room.

 

I enter the image, dissolve into the plane,

Drift weightlessly into the mundane,

Levitate effortlessly above my welcoming couch,

Then softly descend,

     Settling slowly. . .

          Reclining gently. . .

               Sleeping peacefully. . .

 

Consciousness slowly returns. . .

I awake, to again pursue harmony, creativity, and truth.

I stretch languidly, smile, and welcome peaceful reality.

I gaze at artwork on my living room wall:

An impressionistic view of the Oregon coast.

 

—Will Walsh