FROM A MAN IN HONOR OF ALL WOMEN


I dominated through physical strength.
You proved physicality largely irrelevant.


I was misogynistic, chauvinistic and repressive.
You responded with fairness, kindness, and compassion.


I imposed sexism, marginalization, and control.
You facilitated inclusion, development, and freedom.


I was rigid and unbending.
You considered others’ points of view,
   The broader context,
      The possibility of multiple outcomes,
         And the possibility of change.

I was impulsive, demeaning and abusive.
Your stability and resiliency never wavered.

I initiated violence, aggression, and control.
You brought intuition, calm, comfort, and healing.

I made war, and inflicted harm with impunity.
You extended your hands of peace.

May your virtue, wisdom, tolerance and understanding
Forever guide the progress of humankind.

--Will Walsh 
International Women’s Day, March 8, 2024