I could vote for a candidate who• overrides and loudly interrupts others, conveying disrespect.
• demonstrates a reckless, immature impulsivity.
• evidences a hubris and misogyny which impairs judgement and fairness.
• has exploited power, social privilege, and opportunity afforded by a father’s wealth.
• uses money, fear, and coercion to influence others.
• evidences little compassion and empathy.
• is motivated by a consuming need for control, attention, self-promotion, visibility, and personal power.
Or, I could vote for a candidate who• has the values and skills needed to prevent, manage, and resolve conflict.
• acts to improve international relations in a global economy.
• demonstrates participative leadership and management.
• works to remove cultural and institutionalized barriers to human development.
• expands opportunities for women and minorities.
• embodies the best aspects of our national character.
• demonstrates qualities my sons and daughters should emulate.
• mirrors my own values and ethics.
I cherish my privilege of choosing those who guide our democracy.
Will Walsh ©2016