REFLECTIONS

A platinum moon and lone bright star Sirius
Hang in the cobalt cosmos arcing overhead,
Mirrored on still, black water.

I meander carefully along a lakeshore after midnight.
Despite the cool, fragrant, silent evening,
Troubled thoughts intrude:
Chaotic politics, uncertain economics, strained egos,
Broken treaties, illegal settlements, clashing empires.

Rounding a mangrove thicket,
I pause to glance over the lake surface.

A regal, stately white pelican and its reflection
are vivid, luminous, radiant, and perfect
in the lunar light, drifting free near shore,
seemingly suspended in the blackness, causing not a ripple.

Gazing through the silence, its wise, gentle eyes seem to say,
“Welcome to the harmony of my life.
If you observe and study the serenity of this pristine lake,
You will learn the sources of my dignity and grace.
You will learn the virtues of moderation, meditation, and resilience.
You will learn the ways of simplicity, silence, reflection, and peace.
You will learn to attain quiet contentment.
Take with you my wisdom and serenity.
Integrate them, and share them with the world.”

Having displaced troubled thoughts with a profound experience,
I resume my reflective, nocturnal journey with Sirius and the moon.
I will learn to live without greed, mayhem, revenge, hate, or anger.
I will access calm.


Will Walsh