Dandelion Dream

In Rock Creek Park (a part of DC)
I knew a nap would set me free.
In a lush green meadow I lay my tired head
And relaxed as though I were in my own bed.
Cottony white clouds sailed through sapphire sky.

I turned slightly and admired a dandelion nearby.
Electric yellow against blue on high.
Next to the blossom, a sibling of older age
Simple and perfect in its puffball stage.
Its gossamer wings were ready to roam
And transport each seed to a faraway home.
I pondered this sphere as my eyes slowly closed.
Thus, off I drifted, and gratefully dozed.

I jerked awake with sudden surprise—
Below me, DC; above me, blue skies!
On ballooning seed I did frantically cling
White knuckled, my legs wrapped around the thing.
I was up pretty high at moderate airspeed,
Acrophobic, with no safety harness indeed!

Looked up: silky filaments ever so soft
Transported me higher and higher aloft.
Looked down: at the White House, no one was home.
But over the Capitol with magnificent dome,
From a thousand feet up, I heard House/Senate din.

And although far above, I saw clearly within:
Political squabble, polarization, divisiveness;
Disorder, dysfunction, vindictiveness.
Pork barreling, backstabbing, filibustering, obstructionism,
Despotism, faux patriotism, elitism. populism. 

They kicked around bills they would only amend
And obsessed about their coming golf weekend.
They photo-opped, filibustered, preened, and grandstanded
And good-old-boyed, gaggled, wheedled, glad-handed.
Over this discord and chaos I glided
As sadly I sensed a DC divided.

Now past the beltway did I meander and waft
In the uplifting breeze, a warm, gentle draft.
Suspended in midair on a dandelion trip
Clinging with desperation lest I lose my grip,
Wondering, “Where am I now? Will I descend?
When will this precarious aerial journey end?"

Far from the beltway I could now breathe free.
I drifted in wonder on this fantastic journey.
As the fair hills of Maryland came into view
I looked down and saw real America anew.

Above a small town, I observed with clarity
Cooperation, inclusiveness, volunteerism and charity.
Privileged and free on my wondrous dream ride
I saw citizens acting with civility and pride.
On Main Street, people lived their democracy
With respect, empathy, altruism and generosity.
They were genuine and helping and healing and caring;
Listening, understanding, encouraging and sharing.
I saw humility, sincerity, integrity and optimism;
Selflessness, mentorship, stewardship and activism. 
Virtue and ethics were so alive and well
That I wanted to descend and sit for a spell.

The breeze then diminished and my altitude dropped
Could this be the end? Had my dandy dream stopped?
On a velvety green hillside the seed made soft landing.
Without crash or a jolt, I arrived freestanding.

Needing to rest after this bizarre flight
I slowly lay down; time and place felt right.
On Nature's green meadow I lay my tired head
And relaxed as though I were in my own bed.

Cottony white clouds sailed through sapphire sky.
I turned to gaze at the puffball nearby.


Will Walsh    2019