Spring in Brandon, 2023


Luminous morning sky.

Early Florida spring.

I run slow, with relaxed fluidity

Around a neighborhood lake  

On a two-mile flat sidewalk.

 

Music of waterbirds graces the journey;

Oak flowers and leaf buds push out old growth.

Dry brown leaves skitter across sidewalk.

Mama sparrow diverts my attention

From her grounded nestllng.

 

I increase my pace and stride,

Feeling nuances of changing dynamics

In feet, calves, thighs, hips, shoulders, arms.

Smooth harmony propels me forward.

Rhythmic, relaxed footfalls and breathing.

Oxygen recharges lungs, muscle, brain

To sharpen senses, awareness, cognition.

Endorphins reluctantly kick in,

A slow but steady gift.

 

Fleeting thoughts of childhood, combat, politics,

Human rights, climate change, and my beloved Sherrie. 

Bathed in perspiration; Gulf breeze cools my back.

Now finished and slowing to a relaxed walk.

 

Strong and fit at 82, with mantra and mastery.

Joy in the privilege of mobility, energy and freedom.

Each run a celebration of spring and life. . .

 

Will