ACCEPTANCE

For me to progress in thought and deed
I must confront my dishonesty, abusiveness, and greed.
I accept full blame for my irresponsible actions
And the consequences of these many infractions.

It’s time to change; opportunity’s not passed.
My behavior’s hurt many souls in the past.
I accept that I must now compensate them
For their hardship, strife, and my ruthless mayhem.

When young, never yielded or gave in, so to speak.
(Stubborn and defiant, lest I appear weak.)
I denied fear of inevitable mortality.
With age I've accepted life’s reality.

If I continually explore and search within,
I discover where my insecurities begin.
I’m rewarded with awareness and insight,
And relax my defenses of fight or flight.

Life on life’s terms is a challenging trial
Which I must accept to evolve past denial.
Acceptance nudges me toward needed adaptation.
Shifting from denial allows liberation.
Acceptance is neither failure, nor defeat, nor pain.
It’s mastery; truth and freedom I gain.

Truth, often painful, must be seen, then believed.
Acceptance is growth; a summit achieved.
Self-awareness I continue to seek,
And each day I reach a higher peak.

Will Walsh